The Martin County School District continues to carefully monitor the path of Hurricane Ian alongside our partners at Martin County Emergency Management.
Close consultation with Emergency Management officials about the latest storm-related data has led to the District’s decision to close schools and cease all operations on Wednesday, September 28, and Thursday, September 29, 2022. Families and employees are encouraged to review the following information:
- Extended Day (afterschool care) services will continue at all District-operated elementary schools today, September 27. Families are encouraged to pick their children up as soon as possible this evening.
- All extracurricular activities, events, athletics and other programs scheduled for the time frame of this afternoon - Thursday, September 29, have been canceled.
- All Use of Facilities agreements scheduled for District-owned property for the time period of September 28 - 29, 2022, have been canceled.
- Schools and sites will take protective action today to shutter facilities and remove any debris or other items that could become projectiles during the storm.
- Schools will not be opening as shelters at this time. Should weather forecasts require Emergency Management officials to request a change in this status, the District will communicate this information promptly to families, employees and the community.
As additional weather-related decisions are made this week, families and employees will be notified via direct message (phone call, text message, email), our website, social media channels and local broadcast media.
If you have previously unsubscribed and are no longer receiving messages from your child's school or the school district, please text START to 98900 to re-subscribe.
Please visit the National Hurricane Center's website to view the latest storm-related forecasts. Please take steps to ensure your family is prepared and remains vigilant as Hurricane Ian approaches Florida.