Retiree Benefit Changes

There are specific situations when a benefit can be changed. These situations are:

  • Annual Open Enrollment - This includes enrolling for Medicare Part B, Medicare Part D, or any other group plan during an Open Enrollment period.

  • Relocation - If a retiree or any of the retiree's covered dependents relocate outside of the HMO network area, a change must be made at the time of a permanent address change.

If you experience either of the above, please contact the Risk & Employee Benefits Department by phone at 772.219.1200 x 30206 or by email at